Hi I hope you will enjoy my new combination of kimchi and salmon. If you like saltiness and mild asian flavours this will make you smile. Of course you can always spice it up with more chilli! Yumm…
For the salmon and noodles
4 salmon filets 120-150 g per person
350 g black rice noodles
salt and pepper to taste
For teriyaki sauce
150 ml sherry or white wine or mirin
150 ml soy sauce (preferably reduced salt type)
50 ml rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp of brown sugar (3 tsp if you don’t use mirin )
1 cm of ginger, skin off and grated
For the kimchi
1 long cucumber (around 400g)
250 ml cold water
1 tbsp salt
1 cm (10g) of ginger, grated
1/2 tsp dried hot pepper or half of fresh chilli pepper
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1 x 500 ml capacity jar
- First make kimchi. Wash cucumber and spiralize it (with skin). Mix all other ingredients with water making sure the sugar and salt has been dissolved. Place cucumber in the jar and fill with prepared salty water. Leave it in warm place for 30 min to 1 hrs.
- Second- make the teriyaki sauce. Put all of the ingredients (grated ginger, soy sauce, mirin, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and sugar, into a bowl and give it a good stir. Heat a frying pan , add the ingredients and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until it has reduced to about half the volume you started with, it will also darken in colour and become glossier. Stir constantly. Remove from the heat and it’s now ready to use.
- Now noodles- put a big pot with plenty of water and start warming it up. These noodles will only need 4-5 min to cook.
- Salmon. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper first then heat a frying pan wit 4 tbs vegetable oil. Fry it skin side down first for 4-5 min or until skin become crisp. Turn and finish of for another 4-5 min. Depends on the thickness of the fish it may take longer.
- In meantime cook your noodles, drain and add to teriyaki sauce. Warm it up together.
- Arrange noodles, kimchi and fish on the plate.
- Enjoy! and let me know what you think!