Hello!, Are you a mama bear too? I made this bear’s pancake with super healthy and gluten free buckwheat flower. This flour is a high fiber, high protein alternative to white flour. It is also higher in many essential vitamins and minerals than white flour. You can use buckwheat flour in place of white or whole-wheat flour in many recipes, including those for muffins, cookies and breads. I was quite surprised that the taste was nutty and was going well with dates. Matilda liked it too and I had to repeat my shoot 3 times because she was stealing parts of my picture composition!
1. Wholegrain flour absorbs more liquid than white flour, so after resting, give it another beat and add a splash more milk if needed.
2. The recipe explain how to cook normal size pancakes. To create the bear shape use small pancake pan ( I used 14cm) or pour only a small amount of butter onto normal pan to crete different size pancakes.
- 275ml/9½fl oz skimmed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vegetable oil or melted butter
- 100g/4oz buckwheat
- 1 tsp vegetable oil, for cooking
- 3 soft dates
Place the milk, egg, dates and oil into a large bowl and mix well.
Sift the wholewheat and buckwheat flour into a separate bowl.
Add the mixed flour to the milk mixture gradually, stirring constantly until a smooth batter is formed. Allow the batter to rest for thirty minutes prior to cooking.
Add teaspoon of oil to a hot pan, pour in an eighth of the mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until golden on each side. Remove from the pan and place between sheets of baking paper and keep warm while repeating the process with the remaining mixture to create eight pancakes.
Serve with favourite fresh fruits or cream cheese.