When I though about writing a blog, this recipe was one of the first crossing my mind . I have been testing it for years now.
I think, I have already cooked it to all my friends and family. If you like fish but have no time to play with it, this recipe is for you. You will only need 3 ingredients to make it work.
This is slightly haute couture version on the above picture but you can serve it with a salad of your choice or freshly cut cucumber – first choice of my daughter. I like the best the addition of simple sauce made of crème fraiche with dill.
Ps. My husband first question after seeing this picture was about Obama’s secret. Well if just trying to enlarge this picture to read the article, go to New York Times : Malia Obama‘s secret trip to Bolivia.
For 6-8 portions (depends on the size), you will need;
100 ml creme-fraiche
300 g fresh salmon fillet
25 g butter
150 g Savoy cabagge, shredded
1 tsp lemon juice
15 g fresh chives, chopped
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. Place the potatoes in the pan, cover with water and cook it until just tender. Drain and return to the pan. Add the butter and mash until smooth. Cover and keep warm.
- Place the cabbage in another pan, cover with boiling water and simmer for about 5 min or until tender. Drain and add to the potatoes. Set aside.
- Place the salmon in the pan, cover with milk, bring to the boil (gently) and simmer for about 5 min, or until fish turn opaque. Drain and leave until cool enough to handle, then remove the skin, flake and check for any bones.
- Add salmon to the potatoes and cabbage mix. Add half of the chives and the lemon juice. Season, mix thoroughly and cool.
- Divide the mixture into 6 and shape into cakes about 2,5 cm thick. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. When ready to cook, place the flour on a plate and dip the fishcakes in the flour until lightly but evenly coated. Heat the oil in large frying pan. Cook the fishcakes foe 3-4 minutes each side or until crisp and golden. Drain on the kitchen towel.
- Mix together the creme fraiche with the remaining chives and season. Serve with salad of your choice.