Although it might be wintery already in some places it is not to late for some nice dishes with amazing porcini. This combination never fails. Mushrooms, bacon, ricotta, potatoes, cream …., your cosy home. Enjoy!
400 g potatoes
50 g ricotta
90 gr plain flour
1 egg, beaten
100 g smoked bacon
100 g butter
300 g double cream
500 gr porcini mushrooms
1 shallot, scliced
1 tbsp chopped parsley
Wash the potatoes, chop into 3cm chunks and cook in a large pan of boiling salted water for 12 minutes, or until tender.
- Wash the potatoes, chop into 3cm chunks and cook in a large pan of boiling salted water for 12 minutes, or until tender.mash until smooth – a potato ricer works best here. Mix in the ricotta, a pinch of salt and white pepper and the flour. Make a well in the middle, add the beaten egg and begin to combine the mixture with floured hands. Work in the thyme leaves and continue until a smooth dough has formed. (Be careful not to overwork it or the dough will end up too dense and won’t expand when it goes into the water.)
- Cut the dough in half and shape each piece into a long cigar shape about 1.5cm thick. Using the back of a floured table knife, cut each length of dough into 2cm pieces to make ‘pillows’ or individual gnocchi. Gently press each one in the centre using your floured finger. The dent will hold more sauce and allow the gnocchi to take on more flavour.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the gnocchi, tilting the pan from side to side briefly to stop them sticking together, then simmer for about 1½–2 minutes until they start to float. Drain the gnocchi and leave them to steam-dry for 1–2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start to make the sauce.
- Cut the beacon into small pieces and brown in a frying pan with 20 g of the butter. Heat the cream and add the pieces of bacon, then reduce by 1/3 and season.
- Fry the mushrooms with the remaining butter and the shallot until they darken. Season at the end.
- Add the flat leaf parsley to the smoked bacon cream, divide between dishes. Steam or reheat gnocchi and place on top of the cream. Finish by scattering the mushrooms over the top.